I do not just walk into a store and carry the most expensive ingredients with me. Rather, I ensure that the meals I have are well balanced with all the necessary nutrients. I have a little secret that I would like to let you in on.
During weekdays I eat clean meals just the way nutritionists recommend. I ensure that all my meals contain lots of vegetables and little carbs and meat.
On the weekend I let loose and do what I like to call “cheat” eating. I look for quick and healthy meals, and then I photograph them and post them here on my blog for you to see. Thank you for being an avid follower and supporter by the way.
In this post you will find one of the cheat meals I love; the Kale and Soba Salad with Avocado Miso Dressing. This meal is creamy and crunchy and is adapted from the House in the Hills. It tastes amazing and is the perfect meal for a hot summer night. Just serve it cold, and it will cool you down perfectly and ready you for the night. Most items should be available at your local supermarket or try an Asian market.
Soba noodles are a healthy alternative to other types of noodles. They have a nutty flavor that you will love and the impact on your weight very minimal.
I particularly like to watch my weight, and that is why I like buckwheat noodles. They only contain 113 calories per cup but contain a whopping 426 mg of manganese in the same portion. It is also rich in fiber and protein, so it is a very healthy carb option.
Miso is yet another healthy food. It contains only 34 calories and contains probiotics that are good for creating a healthy digestive system and better immunity. It is even believed to be a cancer-fighting food. Avocado and Kales are rich in vitamins and minerals.
Avocados are particularly rich in healthy fats, and they make it easier for the body to absorb the carotenoids that the Kales are rich in. Kales are good sources of fiber so with them you can be assured of better digestion. With this meal, you can eat at ease knowing that your health is in check.
Here is the recipe that you can follow:
What you will need
A bunch of lacinato or dino kale
1 or 2 packets of buckwheat soba noodles (this depends on how much you would like to make and how many you are serving. I used two to make this for my boyfriend and me, and we still had some leftover so bear this in mind when deciding)
1/2 cucumber (cut into ribbons or chunks as you wish)
Three tablespoonfuls white miso
One garlic clove
One tablespoonful extra virgin olive oil
Sesame seeds (for garnishing)
You will also need a blender or food processor, a cooking pot, chopping board and knife and a large bowl to serve.
1. To cook, the noodles follow the instructions on the packaging. The steps to be followed here are Heat water in a cooking pot and when it boils add the noodles.
Stir them, so they all go under the water and let the water return to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and leave them to cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
2. While the noodles cook, prepare the Kales. To do this remove the stems and cut into small ribbons or pieces. Chop the cucumbers as well.
3. Juice the 1/2 lime.
4. Use a blender or food processor to blend the avocado, miso, olive oil, garlic, lime juice and 1/2 cup of water together. You can add more or less water depending on the consistency you would like. This will make the avocado miso dressing.
5. When the noodles are ready, drain them and rinse with hot water to keep them from being sticky.
6. In a large bowl mix the noodles, kale, avocado miso dressing and the cucumber.
7. To make the food presentable, garnish with the sesame seeds and a wedge of lime.
The meal is now ready. You can eat it warm or leave it to chill. If it is summer, the latter is the better option. Either way, you will be in for a yummy treat. Enjoy the creamy taste of this meal, and you will be left licking your lips. You can thank me later.